Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Saturday, July 26, 2008

"What You Don't Know Can't Hurt You." Really?

Here's something I didn't know until about five minutes ago: there is more than one type of breast cancer, and the most aggressive type is undetectable by self-examination or mammogram. It is called Inflammatory Breast Cancer.

My younger sister sent me a youtube video about IBC, which was the first time I had ever heard of it. Please watch the video.

Here are some of the major symptoms of IBC, according to the IBC Research Foundation:
As I've been writing this, I've had the TV on in the background, and I've already heard several commercials about weight loss, feminine odor, and cosmetics--all targeted to women. It's this overabundance of useless information, and the dearth of life-saving information about women's health and overall wellbeing, that reminds me of why women's movements are absolutely crucial.

"What you don't know can't hurt you." So the saying goes, but I choose to disagree. I hope you will, too.

Please educate yourself, spread the word, and keeping working for a more just and loving world.
posted by Noelle at 11:30 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment