Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

in anticipation...

I love Advent. I love the hopeful anticipation of the season, the expectant waiting for Immanuel, God-with-us, to finally arrive.

Faith, for me, has always been a bit of a struggle. My creed echoes the words of the man who brought his son to Jesus for healing: "I believe; help my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24).

Advent reminds me that struggle and darkness are integral in this journey of faith. Advent reminds me that we live in the painful in-between of God-with-us and God-yet-to-come ("thy kingdom come, thy will be done"). I find comfort in Advent, in the willingness of God's people to dwell in this place of in-between while still holding on to hope. I feel at home here.

What does Advent mean to you?
posted by Noelle at 10:15 AM

1 Comments:

preach it sister. i like what you said about advent being a time of inbetween, of waiting and of struggle in that waiting. i think i'm in the point in my own life when i need an angel to appear and tell me that there is good news of great joy to come in this advent season b/c that hope you speak of is what is dwindling at this time.
Blogger Ireney, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment