Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Monday, October 22, 2007

A Year of Ecumenism

submitted by Hailee Barnes

It is half way through our fall semester here in Montana and so far this year has been filled with a variety of different faith circles for me. There is if course the Presbyterian/ecumenical NNPCW, I am attending the Catholic Campus Ministry (CCM), I sometimes go to the Lutheran Campus ministry discussions, and I attend the University Congregational Church.

Contrary to how this assortment of places and environments may present themselves, I am not one who likes change or surprise, and since I was not raised in any particular Christian circle there have been and continue to be lots of surprises and much change this year. During my first week on campus I attended all but two of the eight campus ministries at the University of Montana. I was surprised to find myself back at the Catholic group week after week but now that is home for me. I am in a women’s group on Monday, we have Unite on Tuesday, and Thursday night is 30 minute dance party night.

I have a weird way of organizing thoughts in my head and for some reason I felt really weird about going to CCM at first, mainly because I had never been Catholic. I have gotten over this weird feeling and now can’t think of a more open and better place for me to learn and grow in my faith. I am starting to understand how similar all Christians are and the barriers between so many of us are starting to come down.

Hailee is a student at the University of Montana in Missoula, MT. She is a member of NNPCW's Coordinating Committee.
posted by Noelle at 11:44 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment