Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

To Know

The heatwave that has been hovering over the Ohio Valley for the last couple of weeks has finally lifted, and the air is a cool 72 degrees. Life is good.

I was struck with an inexplicable sense of happiness as I walked from my car to the office upon returning from my lunch break today. Actually, what I was sensing was joy.

Much ado was made about the distinction between happiness and joy in the Christian circles in which I was raised, and I have to admit that I never understood the difference. To me it was simply a word game, a debate about semantics.

But today I understood. I knew that what I was sensing was joy. I knew it in my body. I knew it in my soul.

I still explain to you the difference between happiness and joy, but I can tell you that I understand the difference. I understand it because I have experienced it.

As people of faith, that is sometimes how it goes. How do we know anything as hard to understand as joy, or faith, or peace, or God? Yes, we use words--theology, Scripture--but sometimes we also just know in our souls and in our bodies and that is enough. Sometimes we don't need words--just the presence of the Spirit, God-with-us.

Labels: , ,

posted by Noelle at 1:23 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment