Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Media Perpetuate Religious Stereotypes (by Beth Ruhl)

Christian. Muslim. Atheist.

Now that you have seen these words, please read them again and think about what images come to mind when you picture each of these types of people.

I would like to have an open discussion about stereotypes of religious and non-religious people in the media and how they limit our daily interactions with one another. There are wars going on right about how and where it is appropriate to express faith, who has the superior faith, and what to do about those who have no faith tradition at all. Read the rest of Beth's article.
posted by Noelle at 2:16 PM

2 Comments:

Dear Noelle, Beth too,

I don't know, it seems to me there is a bit of stereotyping in Beth's article. What do I mean? Well, when I think of Christians I think of someone who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. They are someone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, as C.S. Lewis would put it mere Christianity. When I think of a Muslim, that is, a follower of Islam , I think of someone who believes that Mohammad is the true and final prophet of God, That the Koran is a divine book given by Allah and yes, that Jesus is only a prophet, not the Son of God or Savior of the world. When I think of an atheist I think of someone who does not believe there is any God.
But when Beth wrote her article she was quick to put down anyone who believes in the virgin birth of Jesus, as I do believe, by equating them with fundamentalists.I am in fact an Evangelical who believes in the Reformed tradition. By the way what does Bible thumping mean? I have always wondered.

Also, I have heard it expressed that we have gone to war with Irag because of their oil, but it is a totally new idea to me that we have gone to war with them because they are Muslims. Can that really be true. If so do you think we will go to war with Saudi Arabia?

Anyway, I do believe we should be respectful of other religions, but as Christians I believe we are called to make disciples of all the nations. But we cannot do that if we do not love them as those who are made in the image of God.
Thanks for your post and interesting subject matter.
With the blessings of Jesus Chist,
Viola
Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:06 PM  
Actually I really did mean Christ at the end there!
Viola
Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment