Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Thursday, September 21, 2006

a question for the masses

This blog post isn't going to consist of any formulated thoughts, but rather some questions that have been floating around in my head today.

Let me tell you where I'm coming from first. Last night I went to my third childbirthing class. Today I went to my 30-week checkup with my obstetrician. And just a few minutes ago, I spoke with a colleage who was at an informational session on women's gynecologic health earlier today.

All of these events have caused me to realize one thing: I do not know my body as well as I should.

And here are my questions:

Why not? We live in the "information age." I know tons of useless things about tons of useless topics. Why don't I know my own body better than I do?

How well do you know your body?

What role, if any, does the church have in helping all people--but perhaps especially women, whose bodies have been demonized for eons--to better know and listen to their bodies? Is this beyond the church's mission? We are told to be stewards of creation. Should this not extend to the flesh and bone casings of humankind, men and women created in God's image?

My main question for you: What are your thoughts?

Noelle
posted by Noelle at 5:47 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment