Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Friday, September 08, 2006

I read an article in Wednesday’s New York Times, “To Stay Alive, Iraqis Change Their Names.” Whether Sunni or Shiite, men and women are being executed on the spot if they have a suspect name or a hometown dominated by the rival sect. This has sent thousands of Iraqi civilians in search of a mask. A mask to hide the very essence of who they are – their names. They know it is a shameful act; but it is moreso a matter of survival. They have no choice. I have searched within myself for the right words to say about this. After reading the article, I was angry – ready to deliver a hot-tempered manifesto on being/owning/living into one’s name – and that everyone must have that right. Now, as I sit down to type, my message is quite simple. This makes me profoundly sad. To be named is intended to be life-giving, not life-taking. So I am sad and also deeply grateful. Grateful to be called “Katie.” Grateful that when I hear my name called in the street I am not brutally killed on the spot. Grateful that my name makes me unique, for many reasons. Grateful that I can be proud. Grateful that I do not, and most likely never will have to make that choice. Song lyrics come to mind:

I need love, love’s divine…
Give me love, love is what I need to help me know my name.

Any thoughts?

In the name of the One who called us by name,

katie
posted by Noelle at 5:41 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment