Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Do you want to have a life changing experience?

Hey Everyone.

It’s Jen Ross here. I am going into my second year on the Coordinating Committee (CoCo) and I am also a representative to the Presbyterian Association for Community Transformation (PACT) which is part of the larger organization Presbyterian Health, Education and Welfare Association. Yes, if you haven’t guessed by now, the Presbyterian Church (USA) LOVES acronyms! Today, I wanted to write a little bit about my experience on the Coordinating Committee.

The mission of NNPCW is that “we are young women in college connected by our belief in God, seeking to understand what it means to claim a Christian faith that empowers women.” When I first heard that statement, it struck me. This is what I wanted and needed. The realization that there were other young women who were out searching for connection like me was empowering and exciting. I attended the Leadership Event in Chicago and learned more about the Church, God and myself than I though possible. I also learned about the Coordinating Committee of NNPCW. These amazing young women were so full of Spirit and answers to the questions that I asked them. But, they also had questions themselves, deep and difficult theological questions relating to their place in the Church and the Community of God. I knew I wanted to be a part of this group of strong and able women. The Coordinating Committee (or CoCo) is a group of twelve women from around the country who guide the work of NNPCW. Every year four new CoCo members are added and asked to serve a three year term on CoCo.

APPLICATIONS ARE DUE AUGUST 15 AND CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.PCUSA.ORG/NNPCW.

It is hard to describe the energy, the electricity that is in the room at our CoCo meetings (one in the Fall and one in the Spring). We are there for 3 days to be completely focused on God and the Network, thinking about what direction or new project or idea that NNPCW should take on, keeping in mind feedback we have heard from members of NNPCW. As hokey as it sounds, it really is magical.

More personally, the women on NNPCW have become some of my best friends. It is true that we really only see each other at NNPCW and PC (USA) events and communicate over email (and facebook) in the in between time, but there is a bond that I feel with these women that I don’t have with some friends who I have known for years. We get to know each other, care about and care for each other and make each other feel safe in the community that we are in. At our last CoCo meeting, two members of my class and I stayed up in the living room of the place where we were staying, making a makeshift bed out of couch cushions and talking well into the morning about theological issues, relationships (or lack thereof), school, family, friends, our lives, everything. I have relied and trusted this group with some things in my life that I haven’t even shared with my best friends or my family. The connection is unique and phenomenal.

I would encourage every young woman out there, if you feel interested and called to the work that we do, please consider applying. I swear, it will change your life.
posted by Noelle at 11:08 AM

1 Comments:

Aww, yay, sleepover...can't wait to see you!!

Love,
Maisha
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment