Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Leadership Event in Louisville

Hi! I'm Hailee Barnes, a student at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon. I arrived in Louisville on Friday July 7th, I did not know who was meeting me at the airport nor did I have any idea what I was entering into for the next five days but I had an uncontrollable excitement and curiosity. I was met at the airport by Kelsey and three other NNPCW members. I was so excited that one of them was from Montana as I am and immediately I felt connected to the group. The group of about 25 students, staff and additional PW participants really connected and became a small community in the five days we spent in Louisville. The safe space that was created to discuss events and issues in our life with women who share a common belief in God and Jesus was amazing. I have never felt so alive, safe, and free to be myself and celebrate being a woman. The skills and friends that I took away from this event will always remain in my heart. It sounds so cliche, but this event really has been a life-changing experience because for the first time I felt so comfortable being me and connecting with other women being themselves.

One of my favorite events was the intergenerational dialogue, which was open to all PW participants. We divided into small groups with mixed ages and responded to six questions for ten minutes each. It was incredibly fun to be in a conversation with women of all ages and discover that we are very similar in our experiences. Some of the question or topics of discussion included: our most embarrassing moment during our childhood, whether we thought the generational gap was going to increase or decrease, and a women who inspires us. I gained so much from having PW partner participants in our workshops and plenary sessions. I was pleased that they not only observed but also participated greatly. Their experience and presence meant a lot to the NNPCW members.

After the Leadership Event, my first NNPCW event, I came home with a new sense of myself, my faith, and who I am. I made connections with other college women as well as women in communities all across the United States and even Brazil! I am so excited to continue growing and learning with NNPCW and sharing my experience with other college women and women in my church at home and at school.

Hailee
posted by Noelle at 11:42 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment