Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Different Perspective

Hello, I am Bridgett Green, Kelsey’s ministry partner in Racial Ethnic Young Women Together (REYWT), and today’s guest blogger.

Inspired by Kelsey’s blog from Thursday, June 29, I decided to contribute to the discussion on evangelism. I agree with Kelsey, who wrote: “The whole concept of evangelism, particularly in an increasingly multicultural and pluralistic world, is a sticky one. The word either really turns you off, or really floats your boat in this politically charged climate.” I would add that this word really turns you off or really floats your boat in the theological world as well.

I recall being in a work meeting discussing webportals. When someone used the word evangelism for part of the website name, my colleagues left of the theological center (whatever that means) grimaced and sneered at the thought. Whereas, my colleagues on the right had a look on their faces, which begged the question, “What’s wrong with that?” I understood both sides of facial expressions.

I, like Kelsey, am a denominational hybrid. I was raised Baptist in South Carolina. I joined the Presbyterian Church (USA) after attending a small liberal arts college outside of Charlotte, NC: Davidson College. My Baptist upbringing makes me comfortable with being self-identified as an evangelical. However, the recent theological and political decisions of my brothers and sisters right of middle made the word evangelical a little repulsive. I feel incarcerated by the negative connotations that surround the word because of certain theological and political thoughts, decisions, and conduct (one’s theological understanding is often connected with one’s political stances) of my “evangelical” brothers and sisters.

Well, in the name of Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit, I have been redeemed once again. Through careful Bible study, I became empowered with an understanding of the evangelical/evangelism that allows me to once again self-identify as one. The word evangelism is rooted in the Greek word of ευαγγλιον, which translates to mean the good news. Our Christian education teaches that the good news is about Jesus. I think that all theological parties could agree on that point. The Gospel according to Luke provides an excellent understanding of the good news of Jesus (the other gospels do a good job as well).

Luke notes that at the beginning of Jesus’ ministry, he returned to Nazareth and went to the synagogue, as it was his custom. During the recorded occasion, Jesus read the following from the scroll that was given to him:

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to bring the good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives
and recovery of the sight to the blind,
to let the oppressed go free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.
(4:18-19, NRSV).

The good news is that Jesus came to liberate and not oppress, to release and not bound. That is the gospel that evangelicals are called to proclaim as the good news of Jesus Christ. The Gospel according to Mark writes similarly in 1:14: “Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.’” Following this verse, Mark provides stories of healing and liberation to prove the point.

So what is my point? As an evangelical, one is called to preach the good news of Jesus Christ that proclaims healing, release, recovery, love, and compassion. As Presbyterians, we are committed to live within the framework of the good news as it agrees with the “rule of faith and love, and contributes much to the glory of God and [human] salvation.” (Book of Confessions, 5.010).
I am reclaiming the words associated with ευαγγλιον. I desire to follow Jesus’ message of liberation, reconciliation, and love. I will no longer allow those who shut others out (including me), malign, oppress, and kill with words and deeds to monopolize this word and their interpretation of it for their own political and theological gains. I will walk faithfully in accordance to the teachings of Jesus Christ, the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the healthy traditions of our denomination and call myself an evangelical.

Bridgett
posted by Noelle at 12:58 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment