Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Friday, July 28, 2006

Building relationships

When a cry erupts in one of the nursery rooms at Macalester Plymouth United Church in St. Paul, I don’t have to guess who will be the first to respond. While I and my fellow Sunday morning child care providers keep an acute eye on the littlest members of Mac Plymouth, you can bet the most watchful eye is that of Nolia, a spunky two-and-a-half year-old girl and one of our most frequent charges. When one of the other children stubs her toe or experiences a sudden pang of separation anxiety, Nolia is the first one on the scene, wrapping her baby fat arm around a trembling shoulder as her eyebrow furrows in what looks like genuine concern.

I think I’m not the only college kid who relishes playtime with little kids as an escape, for however short a time, from the stresses of the college bubble. During the school year I leap at a chance to simply play -- but all the while, I know that play is not always so simple, that it is often a tool of infinite wisdom.

When we talk about intergenerational dialogue, I often notice that at our age we think of ourselves primarily as mentees, young women looking for nurturing friendships with women who have been there and done that. We often forget that we, too, possess the incredible ability to establish life-changing relationships with younger women and girls.

Like many NNPCW women, I was led to the Network by a life-changing woman I met at the very beginning of my days at Macalester College. She continues to listen when it seems no one else will and she operates on an innate desire to care for other people -- much like Nolia. And just as I love to indulge in her confidence-building, thought-provoking friendship, I marvel at what an impact we can have on each other’s lives. And as earlytwentysomethings wading through our college years, we can offer our own selves, consciously or unconsciously, as “the older woman” who takes interest in the hopes and dreams and thoughts of someone younger. We can mentor younger women on our campuses and in our communities, whether that mentoring takes the form of friendship or of consistency in a world where things change so quickly. Somehow we end up learning as much as we are teaching our younger friends. Even in play we are building the groundwork for deeper relationships and richer lessons.

Nolia smiles like a lot of kids her age: a big toothful grin that lets you know she trusts you, but all the same suspects you’re just about the neatest thing on the planet.
posted by Noelle at 9:23 AM

4 Comments:

Hi Kelsey,
I am glad you have blogged again. I did not get a chance to say goodby and tell you I have enjoyed reading your blogs and the dialogues we have been able to have.
May you go with Jesus and may he be the bright and morning star of your lofe.
In his love,
Viola
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 PM  
Well I did mean to say may he be the bright and morning star of your life!
In his love again,
Viola
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 PM  
For the record - I think this entry was written by our Coco member, Hillary Mohaupt, right?
Blogger Amy, at 3:57 PM  
Yes, for the record, this blog was written by CoCo member Hilary Mohaupt. Thank you, Hilary (and everyone else who filled in while Brianne and I were out of the office) for your wise words.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment