Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Friday, June 09, 2006

What are you going to do for Jesus this summer?

Hi Everyone! Its Jennifer Ross again, guest blogging for Kelsey. I am up in Louisville this weekend to help hire a woman to replace Kelsey when she leaves for Boston (to go live with her husband). All of the candidates are absolutely amazing! I am really excited to meet all of them. But enough about that.
I was asked recently what I was going to do for Jesus this summer. While initially I thought that this was a completely fair question, now that I have been thinking about it for a while, I have some thoughts to go with this question. Maybe y’all, the people who read this blog can help me out with what I am struggling with. While I am ok with the idea that one thing that you do is a special devotion to God, I believe that everything you do everyday is and necessarily should be for God, for Jesus. For example, if I were to work at a Soup Kitchen or at a Day Care program for an hour and a half ever week, would that mean that I have done what I need to for God, I have done my tribute to God, and now I don’t have to think about God until Sunday morning at Church? It just seems to me that with one thing set out to be for God, I would start to lose the importance and reverence of all things around me because they are not part of my particular God action. I would have my God time once a week for an hour or two, depending on what I was doing, and then I wouldn’t have to worry for the rest of the week about realizing God in everything.
Let me be clear, I think serving others is a fabulous thing, something that should be a part of every person’s daily life. It is in these moments when I feel most connected to God. But “doing things for Jesus” should be part of a persons everyday life, not just during a specific time.
But maybe all of this is not the intent of the question. Maybe the question was aimed at getting me to think about everything I am doing in my life and how it relates to God-if I was living my life in such a way that praises God and God’s kingdom. Maybe I am supposed to realize that by focusing on God and Jesus completely during a specific time, I will start to realize the presence of God all the time, surrounding me.
So this is my predicament, my question, for the day. How exactly am I supposed to understand the question of what am I going to do for Jesus this summer? Maybe y’all can help me.

Thanks for reading!

Jennifer
posted by Noelle at 9:12 AM

1 Comments:

Hi Jennifer,
I will not write much my granddaughter is getting married at five today. Happy times! But I do think you are really on the right track with this idea of everything we do being for God. In fact our vocation as a ministry to God is a really a Reformed idea. But not just vocation, even reading a good book with your feet up and a nice glass of ice tea is something I believe belongs to the life we live for Jesus Christ.
Blessings in Jesus Christ,
Viola
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment