Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A General Assembly Update

So, you've probably been wondering what happened to me... no, I did not drown in a giant vat of grits here in Birmingham, Alabama. It is just that every night when I get home, I am in such a semi-comatose state that I can't even think coherently, much less write. I had to skip some evening presentations to even have the energy to post to you tonight. Good thing, too, because there is certainly plenty to write home about.

If you ever have the good fortune to attend the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s General Assembly, the first thing you should know is that it is incredibly exhausting. The docket is packed with tons of extracurricular activities, while the business itself can go late into the night. NNPCW alumna Molly Williams has kept me alive with free refills of my Equal Exchange travel coffee mug, but I'm even going to have to kick that newly-found habit-- I got a horrid headache all afternoon and evening yesterday.

Also, I don't think you can even begin to understand how political the church can be until you've attended the Assembly. A variety of special-interest groups canvass the delegates, advocating change (or continuation) of PC(USA) policy on just about every hot-button issue of today. The mere fact that the atmosphere is so politicized at times can exhaust you, too.

There have been several controversial issues come through the business meetings in the past few days. Though divided, the Assembly has thus far passed a document on the Trinity that affirms expansive language for God, and the Peace, Unity, and Purity Task Force Report (which relates to the church's deep divisions on the ordination of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people to church offices). An item requesting the removal of rules prohibiting LGBT folk from ordained ministry, however, failed.

As I've been sitting in plenary these last few days, I've started to wonder if maybe one could make the consensus model of decision making work on a large scale. After all, what is the whole process of amending a document in parliamentary procedure but a small-scale, less developed attempt to reach consensus by constant dialogue and improvement? I've heard quite often that consensus takes too long to really work. But after the last two days in plenary, I'm here to tell you that our beloved Robert's Rules take a long time, too. The discussion on the Peace, Unity, and Purity Task Force Report probably went a couple of hours long... mainly to solely approve one item. Perhaps consensus would uncover the byzantine clutter of motion after motion, freeing up the creative process as we listen to the Spirit's guidance around us.

Those are just a few updates for you to chew on... I almost fell asleep at my computer, so I feel that I must go to bed. And by the way, David and I have now been married for one month. Yay!! Now if only we could live together....

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 11:39 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment