Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Why Come to the Leadership Event?

Yesterday’s illness finally vanquished me, so I stayed home this morning, slept until about 10:45 am, watched an hour of the BBC’s Vanity Fair from my couch, and finally drug myself into work after taking the requisite Dayquil. I’m not very good at staying home from work—I have some sort of guilt complex going on, I guess, like I have to be immobile before I can justify spending a whole day away from my desk. But I’m not very useful here, either, if all I want to do is sleep.

But here I am now, on what is a rainy and cloudy day here in Louisville. I’ve devoted the afternoon’s activities to the Leadership Event, mainly in the realm of getting people to come. I’ve heard from some quarters that it is a bit harder to generate interest around this event than in past years. I’m not exactly sure why that is—perhaps the prospect of “intergenerational dialogue” doesn’t hold the same pizzazz as, say “racism and pop culture,” or “prejudice,” the themes of the last two events.

Yet if you think “intergenerational dialogue” means we’re going to dump you off at the nursing home to play Parcheesi, let me tell you right now that you’re wrong. In dealing with ageism this year, in fact, I think we’re perhaps taking on one of the most unrecognized forms of prejudice that exists—a prejudice, moreover, that cuts across generational lines.

What is ageism, anyway? Well, according to Merriam-Webster, it is “prejudice or discrimination against a particular age group and especially the elderly.” Our understanding of ageism, however, is expanded to include the ageism the church often perpetuates against young people. That’s what this event hopes to get at the heart of—how do our institutions, and our own attitudes toward our sisters in Christ, devalue others’ contributions based on age?

A couple of examples of what I mean: how often have you heard the phrase, “You’re the future of the church” uttered to a 20-something? I don’t know about you, but I want to say, “Actually, I’m the NOW of the church, thank you very much.” But by the same token, how often have we as young adults whined and complained about all the older people of the church who won’t let us do what we want, without really stepping over to engage them in dialogue?

This event will bring younger women together with older women to engage one another, to help older women see that we want our contributions valued and to help younger women stop talking and start reaching out. For a multicultural church is an intergenerational church, too.

Click here to visit the Leadership Event homepage.

“I will study the way that is blameless. When shall I attain it? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house.” --Psalm 101:2

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 5:17 PM

2 Comments:

Hi Kelsey,
Hope you are feeling better. I have a question. Who are the older women who will mix with the younger women? And are you going to include any older Evangelical women, well like me for instance?
Actually I think the idea is a good one if there truly is a diverse mix of people. I know I love it when my daughters and granddaughters are here and we talk about all kinds of interesting subjects like philosophy, religion and whats growing in our gardens, and I mean our real gardens. Of course there has to be ice tea and something sweet to eat.
Blessings in Christ,
Viola
ps I won't see your answer for a couple of days I am off to Colorado until Friday.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 AM  
Hi Viola,

Any discussion is better when sweets are present :). Thanks for asking about my cold-- I'm feeling better, now that I've gotten some rest. Wedding planning is getting the better of me, I'm afraid.

As for your question, the older women have been issued invitations by the Leadership Event Planning Team on the recommendation of Presbyterian Women. The invitations have gone out to women who are already planning on attending the Churchwide Gathering of Presbyterian Women this summer.

I hope that group will be a diverse one that includes Evangelical perspectives, as well as women from a variety of racial ethnic backgrounds and levels of experience with PW. The Planning Team wanted to invite women who had made important contributions to the life of the church, both in their own congregations and communities and to the denomination as a whole. PW based its recommendation on those guidelines.

I hope that answers your question, and I hope you had a good time in Colorado!

Kelsey
Blogger Noelle, at 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment