Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Monday, March 13, 2006

Choosing a Grad School

I decided to wait until this afternoon to blog because I simply couldn’t find any inspiring topic to explicate on. Even David and my co-worker Heather, endless sources of intriguing articles on every social issue under the sun, failed me today. In the meantime I’ve literally spent all day on the phone, calling campus ministers and recruiting for the Leadership Event.

Today’s only noteworthy occasion? The cheap $1 nylons I picked up in Philadelphia developed a mammoth run, one that no strategic positioning of my skirt or shoes will hide. I would take my nylons off, except that Louisville has become the site of “Noah’s Ark: The Sequel,” and I don’t want to brave the rain in bare legs and make my shoes stinky (although my nylons are so terribly cheap that they probably wouldn’t make a difference on either count). Indeed, if it doesn’t stop raining and thundering soon, we’re going to have to start pulling local livestock into the Center two by two.

But I did have the opportunity to chat with one of my mentors at Whitworth about grad school this afternoon. Of course, I technically didn’t call her to talk about grad school… my stated purpose in calling was to plug the Leadership Event at Whitworth. No call like that stays strictly on the subject of work, however.

As many of you know, I have applied to both Harvard Divinity School and Boston University’s School of Theology for next fall. Assuming I’m accepted to both programs, I will soon need to decide which school to attend (a position that perhaps several of you graduating seniors are in right now as well). Pam, in her infinite wisdom that always spawns more good questions than concrete answers, gave me several things to think about as I sort out my decision.

She first encouraged me to look at this decision in terms of the big picture, and see how each school would align with my goals. What do I want to do with my life? What do I hope will happen in five or ten years? And what kind of process do I want to go through in grad school to get there? Journaling always helps, if you really want to clearly explore these sorts of larger goals.

Pam also remarked that one major element in any grad school decision is simply gut feeling—where are you going to be successful? Where do you feel like you’ll fit? Her words reminded me of a spiritual discernment technique Mary Elva, my boss, teaches in her Leadership Event workshop. When you’re making a decision, picture yourself doing first one thing, and then the other. Live into each decision. Then stop and note how you felt when you made the decision. In my case, for instance, I would first imagine that I had decided to go to Harvard. Can I picture myself there? What would my life be like? How does this decision make me feel? After noting that, through journaling or just meditating, I would turn around and do the same thing with Boston University. How does that make me feel?

Of course, for all of you who aren’t the warm fuzzy “explore my feelings” types, there are also some critical questions you can ask yourself when looking at grad school. What is the program like, and does it equip me to pursue my career goals? Are the faculty exploring projects that I’m interested in (and could I help them)? What kind of community does the school have, and how will that community enhance or detract from my career goals? What kinds of resources, both in terms of time and money, is the school willing to invest in me?

One thing I've found helpful in my decision is to talk with both faculty and students I know who attend both the schools I'm considering. I've met some wonderful folks at both Harvard and BU, people who aren't so tied to their school that they won't give me a fair assessment of the good, the bad, and the ugly at their school. You can learn a lot from talking to students and faculty that you won't hear in the admissions tour.

And like any decision, a large element of this choice involves simply listening for the still, small voice guiding you down the path. God is present with you in whatever choice you make, whether good or bad. In times of transition, you can always cling to that.

“And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” --Matthew 28:20b

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 4:58 PM

1 Comments:

First of all, you obviously have not recently had to wade through water going anywhere. At Tulane, we kept flip flops with us to wade through water when it flooded.

Second, I know the feeling about grad schools. Already done it once and might have to do it again. Joy.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment