Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Opening Front-Line Report

Good afternoon, everyone, from sunny and bright Blacksburg, Virginia! I've just finished spending a wonderful soup lunch with a group at the Cooper House Campus Ministry at Virginia Tech. I have to apologize for not blogging yesterday, but I've had a bit of difficulty accessing the Net. Even here I'm borrowing the administrative assistant's computer while she's downstairs washing dishes. So this will probably be a short post.

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to tour all the sites of DC, although I did spend some great time at the US Holocaust Museum and the Smithsonian. I particularly found their exhibit on the First Ladies interesting-- these are women with real political power and influence (regardless of how much the larger society wants to deny that), and yet it still comes through the traditional conduit of their relationships to men.

The Holocaust Museum, on the other hand, made me rethink my understanding of pacifism. As I read about the men and women who took a final stand against the SS in the Warsaw Ghetto rather than be passively hauled off to the death camps, I really questioned whether a non-violent resistance would have been an option for them. I don't have time to really explore the musings here, except to say that I certainly can't condemn them for choosing to take up arms in the face of certain death.

And I have met with some great groups, from Presbyterian Women to George Washington University students to awesome alumnae of the Network Rebecca Morrison and Logan Alley. I particularly enjoyed meeting with Rebecca and Logan in Rebecca's new house-- she went out and bought a tablecloth just for the occasion! The snowstorm of last weekend did result in one cancellation, though, which allowed me time to see the Lincoln Memorial. I still would have rather gone to George Mason University, though.

Well, I've borrowed this computer long enough and I must go. I may have a guest blogger lined up for sometime this week, but I'll keep the travel stories coming. Off to the University of Virginia I go!!!

"My God be gracious to us and bless us and make God's face to shine upon us, that your way may be known upon earth, your saving power among all nations." --Psalm 67:1-2

Kelsey

PS-- Happy Valentine's Day, Singles Awareness Day, whatever you'd like to call it. To quote some cheesy V-Day card, you're swell!!
posted by Noelle at 1:33 PM

3 Comments:

Kelsey,
Maybe you can help me with this. I always seem to forget if an audience member is supposed to wear red or black to a production of the Vagina Monologues. USF is revamping their performance this weekend, and I want to make sure I wear the right thing! (Dang, that sounds girly)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 AM  
Hey Lindsey,

Not sure, and the people who would know are unfortunately not right next door as they normally would be... I think you wear red, but don't hold me to it!!

Kelsey
Blogger Noelle, at 4:15 PM  
Lindsey,
In our production of the Vagina Monologues at Indiana Univ. we were supposed to wear mostly black with a pop of red. I am not sure about other schools and what the audience is supposed to do, but that is my advice.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 PM  

Post a Comment