Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Word To Yo' Mama

The radio sunk to new lows this morning on my drive to Batesville... I actually heard a station play "Ice Ice Baby." I got quite amused, actually, and busted a couple of moves there in the car. And you've gotta love Vanilla Ice's "word to yo' mama."

I'm enjoying a beautiful, sunny day here at Lyon College, a PC(USA)-related school of roughly 500. I just finished with the campus tour from chaplain Nancy McSpadden. It is a beautiful campus, and a very hospitable college. I preached at chapel this morning (my sermon on Mary Magdalene), and then told students about NNPCW at a lunch following the service. I was impressed with the mission-oriented nature of campus ministries here-- on a campus in rural Arkansas, with students from diverse theological backgrounds, students come together around service and urban ministries: two young women are attempting to bring a Habitat for Humanity chapter to Batesville. And for those of you who went on the DOOR realistic Chicago tour at last summer's Leadership Event, Lyon students did DOOR's weeklong program on urban ministry in Chicago last spring break.

One other note-- apparently Lyon is huge on its Scottish heritage. The school has its own registered tartan, and brings 5000-6000 Scottish Americans from around the country for its annual Highland Games. My PC(USA) college never did anything that cool.

Since I'm using Nancy's computer, and since she can't use it until I get off, I'd better wrap things up. I'm going to little Black Rock now to meet my 90-something year old great-great aunt, and I figured her house wouldn't exactly be a Wi-Fi hotspot. Yes, my friends, I have Arkansas roots-- my Rice grandparents were born and raised here. I head to Springfield, Missouri, tomorrow, though, and then actually have a day off. Finally I can get some sleep!!!

"Call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me." --Psalm 50:15

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 2:44 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment