Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Friday, November 04, 2005

Being a Witness

I love the Midwest... people here are so friendly. I came into the public library and told them I was a visitor who wanted to use their password-protected computers, and they just fixed me right up with a visitor ID number. And they always feed me well.

I'm currently in Springfield, Missouri, where I just visited Missouri State University. Missouri State has a thriving campus ministry that is in the midst of renovating a great house for their activities. The folks I had lunch with told me all about the types of ministries they do at MSU, from their own campus Habitat for Humanity chapter to three book discussion nights a week. I was also impressed with the spirit of cordiality that existed between various campus ministries at MSU. Apparently, there are 15 different denominational campus ministries that sit together on a campus board. And after traveling around the country, believe me when I say that it is no small feat to get the Assemblies of God, Baptist, UCC, Presbyterian, and Catholic campus ministries on the same campus ministry board together. That seemed unique in my travels, but very, very encouraging. We really don't have to be enemies.

During our lunch, the campus minister brought up a point that is very salient, I think, to the future of campus ministry. He remarked that in these ministries, we often fail to associate our social justice work with our Christian faith. We can go out and build Habitat houses, or advocate on Capitol Hill, or do street protests if we want. But there is something even more meaningful in proclaiming to the world that those actions are a direct outgrowth of our belief in Christ. It is an affirmation for ourselves, and a witness to the world.

Honestly, I think that there are too many of us out there who are afraid that we will be considered "Bible thumpers" if we say that we're doing justice work from a faith perspective. We're often also the same people who have faith in Jesus Christ, but are almost shy of the label "Christian" for the baggage it carries with it these days. Yet think about this-- if we never associate the work we do in the name of Christ with the word "Christian," will God's love ever be revealed to anyone? We don't have to be evangelical in the sense that we condemn people to hell if they don't believe as we believe-- that's not productive, or Christ-like. But what's wrong with showing God's love in the everyday work we do?

The word "witness" may have some Bible thumping connotations for some of you. But for me, witnessing means just letting God's love shine through me in the choices I make, in the ways I treat others, and in my speaking out for justice. Witnesses aren't judges or juries-- I don't have to tell you what to believe or what to do. But I think it's okay if other people know that the things I do tie directly into my Christian faith.

Okay, so maybe the Bible Belt has been rubbing off on me-- feel free to call me on it. But please, let's stop being embarrassed about Christianity and start showing the world what it really means to us.

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." --Acts 1:8

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 3:28 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment