Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

My Tuesday Nights

So, I do have an excuse for not blogging yesterday on Kelsey’s behalf. This past weekend I was at my church’s All-Church-Retreat. Oodles of fun for all, during the day. However I had to sleep on the horrendous cots in the cabins. Now, at the time they were fine, since I was up at 7:00 AM and didn’t get to bed until 1:00 AM. A day filled with activity and deep thinking for my 15 youth (12-18 year-olds). So, at night I just wanted to crash. Sunday and Monday my neck was a little sore, however that was nothing compared to yesterday when I couldn’t even move. I took a muscle relaxer and called Bridget to tell her that I would be in to work when it took effect. Unfortunately, it never quite helped so I ended up staying on my couch all day. Staring at my apartment that so desperately needs cleaning. My mom is coming this weekend. And growing up there was ‘that speech’ when my room was messy: “I just can’t imagine what your house is going to look like when you grow-up!” Well, no need to imagine. It looks like trash, if I don’t start feeling better it will stay that way too.

I have to admit, I am a huge fan of Tuesday night TV. As you know I get 2 channels, ABC and NBC. And many of you are to think, who live by cable, “Whatever do you watch with only 2 channels?” Granted, I don’t get FOX so I can’t watch the World Series (and too bad I love baseball), and I no longer get VH1 to watch Best Week Ever, but I am making due. I used to be a NBC Thursday night line-up girl, along with everyone else in my dorm. All of us girls would gather around for: Friends, Frasier, Will and Grace, some new show, and ER. However, since my serving days started, I admit, I had neglected the Thursday nights in order to make more money.

Now since I have a 40-hour a week job, one seems to find the time to sit and rot ones brain with the Television. So, my Tuesday nights are as such: The Biggest Looser (I know reality TV is the devil, but I love it!), (tape) Commander in Chief, My Name is Earl, practice guitar, Law and Order SVU, then, Commander in Chief that I taped. That is my Tuesday, don’t mess with it or criticize it, you can try but it won’t matter.

So, last night on Commander in Chief, the First Gentleman is thinking about getting a job outside of the White House. It showed a clip of the Allen’s past in where officials come and ask Mackenzie to run for congress while her husband sits by her side with this look of, “why are they asking her and not me?” on his face. Rod Allen has gone from VP Chief of Staff to adoring husband. All I keep thinking about is if the past First Ladies ever felt the same way? I am sure they have all had to give-up their jobs to travel the country, kiss babies and shake hands of press and the American people, but what are they getting in return? With women being more established in careers more than ever during that time in their life, the presidential run for men is taking their own wives a step backwards when they are promoting equality in marriage. These are women that have jobs that took a lifetime to get to, and they are asked to give it up for the pursuit of their husband’s career. Sounds all too familiar to me. Many will state that the pay is the reason that women choose to follow their husbands. We know from an early age that even though we do the same jobs, men receive more pay for these jobs. It seems realistic to follow where the most money is coming. Unfortunately, it gives men an easy out and excuse. What about being happy as an excuse to stay in a job?

I just don’t think that many of us have thought about the First Ladies being cheated out of their careers. We see it as a great honor for them to choose China patterns to be in the Roosevelt Room, and not to wonder what they could be doing in the West Wing. I love Commander in Chief; it gives us a taste of role reversal and the possibility of so much more to come.

“Only faith can guarantee the blessings that we hope for, or prove the existence of the realities that at present remain unseen.”
Hebrews 11:1

Peace,
Brianne
posted by Noelle at 10:28 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment