Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Gettin' Out of Dodge

A phone call from my mother awaited me when I got out of the shower this morning, here in Austin, Texas. She has been in an absolute panic watching CNN all morning, convinced that I’m going to be swallowed up by Hurricane Rita. I’m really not too worried about it, at least not the prospect of its hitting Austin. After all, the city is a good 200 miles inland!! They’ll get an ugly storm, but probably nothing catastrophic. Nonetheless, I’m glad to be beating it out of here as a flood of evacuees heads north through this city. My flight leaves at 11 am, and I have every intention of being on it. Still, keep in your thoughts all the people who don’t have a ready-made way out of Texas right now.

I have to get going, so I’ll leave you with a verse I think is particularly appropriate to times like these. My church in Louisville used to sing it as a benediction at the end of every service.

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” --John 14:27

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 9:50 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment