Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Making the Choice

Now that the Leadership Event is over, my number one goal for the week is to relocate workspaces. Yes, my friends, I have now attained a great honor here in PresbyLand—an office, complete with a door that closes. Actually, several of my intern friends have always had offices. In Women’s Ministries, though, the behemoth that is Presbyterian Women takes up most of the available space on the southern side of 3rd East. So a cubicle has always been my lot in life, until now.

As it is with many of you, August has always been my transitional month. Perhaps society bred it into us early by starting the new school year in August. Because I work with college students, I still largely function on the academic calendar. January 1 isn’t my new year—the new year begins this month.

But it is more than that. This August, I’m looking for a new living situation as my previous lease runs out. Important people in my life are leaving Louisville. I can’t even keep the stability of my office space anymore.

So what shall we do with this new year of sorts?

I had a great conversation on the way to the airport the other day with Alyson, one of our event participants from Atlanta. She pointed out that for her, it was a conscious choice to be happy every day, to appreciate those things around her. As she reminded me, what is the point in waiting until tragedy occurs to learn the value of what we have? Why can’t we enjoy the yummy gelato, be happy that our old friend called the other day, soak up the class discussion on a great book? What are we waiting for?

Such an attitude reminds me of the covenantal vows we say when we join a church, that we will live out our Christian faith “with God’s help.” We wake up every morning and have to make a choice, to live with joy in the face of our own private sorrows and the world’s corporate suffering. We choose to love all, both those closest to us and those who have hurt us deeply. We make the choice to serve God daily, knowing that God has ordained us to be instruments of Christ’s love to the world. But we do it with God’s help, knowing that the Spirit walks with us even when joy seems distant.

So in this month of transitions, choose to live with the joy that lies in the Spirit and the peace that passes all understanding. I know that I will, with God’s help.

“The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with all of you.” --2 Corinthians 13:13

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 9:39 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment