Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Film Review

It is a very rainy day here, as the remnants of Hurricane Katrina sweep over us—a perfect time to pull out your favorite book or movie, snuggle up on the couch with some ice cream, and enjoy a moment of rest before the craziness of the semester begins. Unfortunately for me, I have to go clean my old apartment tonight.

And what if you don’t have a favorite book or movie? What if you’re looking to this blog to inspire you? Well, I’m afraid that I’ll fail miserably at the task. With the exception of my addiction to junky pop music (which I’m trying to cure by listening to more NPR), I’m not really all that plugged in to pop culture. I’m afraid I can’t tell you the “it” book or movie. Although I don’t live in a cave, so I know that the latest Harry Potter is highly regarded.

The last time I went to the theater, I saw The Wedding Crashers. Actually, I’m not going to recommend that one to you… but before that, I did see Batman Begins. I figured that I would like this one because A.) Christian Bale stars, and B.) I tend to like every other Batman movie. I loved Batman Forever (big fan of Val Kilmer’s pout), hated Batman and Robin (George Clooney’s just too affable to be Batman). So I was due.

And I did like it. I particularly liked Katie Holmes’ character, with her drive, spunk, and social conscience. The movie did disappoint, however, in its ultimate failure to depict her outside traditional gender roles. In one scene, for instance, some evil thugs are about to kill her character. She sprays them with Mace, and they turn running in fear. She is pretty pleased with her ability to defend herself, until the character turns around and sees that Batman has actually come to her rescue. I suppose it wouldn’t be an action movie without a damsel in distress, but do we always have to undercut a moment of female empowerment by sending the message that she can’t do it without a man?

Don’t even get me started, though, on the climatic scenes of mayhem in Gotham. Like in so many movies, it seems necessary here to prove the female lead’s womanhood by having her play mother hen to a random little boy. What did that have to do with anything at all?

However, the film posed a very relevant question for all of us as Americans today, particularly those of us who are college-educated—how do we turn our privilege into a force for good in the world? Bruce Wayne comes from a background of wealth, but also from a family that understands how interconnected all the citizens of Gotham are. Batman Begins canonizes Bruce’s dead father, who used his wealth for public works that would better the lives of the entire community.

Interestingly enough, the film also rebuffs Bruce’s attempts to renounce his privilege. The film opens with Bruce in a Chinese prison, forced to steal after leaving behind the world of Gotham. But as we all know, Bruce can (and later does) go back to his old life whenever he chooses. Most of us, with our supportive families and college educations, are in a similar boat when it comes to the whole issue of privilege—we want to renounce it, but we can never entirely do so. The movie offers one perspective on how we handle that.

As far as summer blockbusters go, Batman wasn’t all that bad. And hey, it should be coming out on video soon. It might be a good small group activity on campus. But watch out for the creepy psychologist—after that dude, you wouldn’t think Batman would go for Nicole Kidman’s therapist character in Batman Forever.

“They were greatly astounded and said to one another, ‘Then who can be saved?’ Jesus looked at them and said, ‘For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible.’” --Mark 10:26-27

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 2:31 PM

4 Comments:

Hi Kelsey,
I am late in reading your blog today. I have not seen any of the Batman films but had a thought about your comments on how women are portrayed in action films. My granddaughter, and I am not suppose to say she is my granddaughter, three years ago wrote a review of "Lord of the Rings," the films, in which she expressed a sightly different view but one I think you might like, at least a part of it. She was fifteen at the time but going to college. She may have changed her view by now. Anyway that is at http://www.naminggrace.org/id63.htm. Also I know it is an old, very old, movie, but "Westward Ho the Women," with Clark Gable is great. A western, it is about a wagon train of women going West with only a few men about, so they are doing all the work. You might enjoy that. They are going to be married to a group of womanless settlers, but they get to pick the men not the other way around. Anyway it is a great story.

Blessings in Christ, Viola Larson
Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:07 PM  
Oops! that sightly, was suppose to be slightly.

Viola
Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:08 PM  
As a toy store employee, the role of women in the realm of superheroes has recently come under my scrutiny. I find it disheartening that at the Kaybee where I work, we sell action figures for only three of the Fantastic Four - not surprisingly, the woman is the one left out. Also, I find it very suspicious that her superpower is invisibility. In a culture where women have regulary been overlooked, I find this detail telling. Race is another issue that I see; I don't ever seeing a superhero visible within Pop Culture awareness that was a person of color without being a sidekick. I hope I'm wrong. Anyway, I think you're on to something.
Blogger Amy, at 10:13 PM  
"I suppose it wouldn’t be an action movie without a damsel in distress, but do we always have to undercut a moment of female empowerment by sending the message that she can’t do it without a man?"

The answer is yes, especially if that action movie is based on a comic book. Most comic books and characters are spawned from the fantasies of their creator, who are mostly men. They are written for boys and young men. I can assure you that men would rather fantasize over a hot damsel in distress that falls in love with superhero when he bravely saves her, than an empowered woman that
can beat the crap out of the bad guy and save the superhero. Remember, it's a fantasy story, not a documentary.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment