Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Bring Back Birthday Parties!!

This morning it dawned on me that today is my Grandpa Bruce’s birthday. So even though Grandpa doesn’t have Internet access, I just wanted to give him a blog shout out and wish him a happy birthday. I’m sure my mother will show it to him anyway. I would like to point out, though, that I remembered it all on my own. I can’t promise the same for my other grandparents, though.

For the record, I am a shameless birthday celebrator. For 364 days of the year, I would consider myself a moderately well-adjusted, functioning adult. On January 20, though, I revert to a selfish twelve-year-old version of me in which I must have a party, with cake, and lots of friends to wish me well. The measure of a successful birthday? Whether you had cake, because it isn’t really a birthday without buttercream frosting (I hope some of you are taking notes right now). I’ve gotten over the gifts thing, although I can still get insulted if my mother doesn’t acknowledge the day with some small memento.

Since I’ve come to Louisville, I also plan some sort of birthday trip to celebrate (since my birthday falls on or around Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend). Last year, David and I went skiing in Wisconsin. In fact, the best birthdays are those in which the entire week is devoted to celebration of you.

Now I understand that some families don’t really do the whole birthday thing. I also know that most people, after they turn 21, stop celebrating their birthdays altogether. My question for you is, why? Why give up an excuse to share time with friends, eat birthday cake, and just generally feel good about yourself?

I’ve had some great birthday parties over the years. For my 16th birthday, for instance, I held a toga/beachwear party… in the middle of January. Imagine a room full of twenty fifteen and sixteen-year-old girls, fully dressed in togas or bathing suits, dancing along to Richard Simmons’ Sweatin’ to the Oldies. We stayed up all night long—now that was a party. Yes, there are photos. No, you will never see them.

So let’s bring back birthdays for adults. When I asked Mom what Grandpa was doing for his birthday this year, she said, “Not much… we’re just going to go eat cake at his house.” Now, I approve of the cake-eating—as I said, it isn’t a birthday without cake. But why not go all-out? Go eat at your favorite restaurant and invite all your family. In the case of my grandparents, plan a bluegrass banjo-playing party in the backyard with all your friends.

Seriously, though, God gives us a very short time on this earth, and an even shorter time with those we care about. My father was 13 days shy of his 40th birthday when he died, six years ago next month. Why waste our time moping about growing older, when there are things to experience and loved ones to cherish in a finite period?

On your next birthday, I challenge you to celebrate. Remember that God has given you another year to love, to serve, and to live out God’s calling for you in the world.

And as for next January—tell the delivery person 100 Witherspoon St., Louisville, Kentucky. Roses and stargazer lilies are my favorites.

“Even those who live many years should rejoice in them all; yet let them remember that the days of darkness will be many. All that comes is vanity.” --Ecclesiastes 11:8

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 10:18 AM

4 Comments:

I agree Kelsey! Let there be cake and ballons, music and dancing, yes and banjo playing too. Happy birthday to your grandfather.

In the love of Christ,
Viola Larson
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:03 PM  
I can vouch for her... she does like her birthdays (chocolate buttercream is recommended)... and those toga pictures had better not ever get out. :) I'm enjoying all your words of wisdom!

Krysten
Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 PM  
Krysten only says that because she was particularly enthusiastic about the togas... I remember that she punched holes in her sheet and threaded them with a gold rope, finishing off the ensemble with a giant headdress. She definitely won that year for best outfit.
Blogger Noelle, at 8:19 AM  
"Imagine a room full of twenty fifteen and sixteen-year-old girls, fully dressed in togas or bathing suits, dancing along to Richard Simmons’ Sweatin’ to the Oldies." Ug... I saw the video, that should be locked up for good.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment