Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Through the eyes of an Asian American

Greeting to all our faithful readers! I am today's guest blogger for the NNPCW Leadership Event here in Chicago, IL. If you are curious about who I am, here is a brief biography: My name is Stella Oh and this is my third leadership event with the network. I live in Asheboro, NC where I attend Randolph Community College and study photography. I was born and raised Catholic but began attending a Korean Presbyterian church several years ago upon moving to North Carolina from Southern California.

Yes, I am of Korean decent, and in all practicality pretty much the only Asian woman at this conference, excluding our speaker Laura Cheifetz (who is half-Japanese) and Irene Pak who came to publicize McCormick Theological Seminary. And yes, I am used to being the only Asian presence at this event for quite some time now.

This year's theme happens to be on prejudice and social action. Therefore I feel a slight pressure to represent my culture more than ever at this event. However, as Asian women's stereotypes go, I am in fact quiet and shy and somewhat reserved. It has always been hard for me to voice my opinions and experiences in a large crowd. The amazing thing is that I feel most comfortable sharing my ideas in written form, so I am very excited that Kelsey asked me to be her guest blogger for the day.

I have participated in amazing worship, plenary, workshops, and panel discussion since Wednesday. Honestly, I feel recharged to be at this event. What made my ears perk up, however, was a scripture passage that the General Assembly Moderator Rick Ufford-Chase read to us on Thursday night, which comes from 1John 4:7-12: "Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love. In this way the love of God was revealed to us: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might have life through him. In this is love: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as expiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also must love one another. No one has ever seen God. Yet, if we love one another, God remains in us, and his love is brought to perfection is us."

How can we not love one another, people of different nations and different languages, of different colors and shapes and sizes, and still claim to love God who we cannot see? That is hypocrisy. After all, even with our many differences, we are bonded together as children of God. And it is not enough that we merely love each other: We must show our love by supporting each other through action, to causes we are called to be a part of and be active in.

I for one am a person who loves to talk and write and reflect all day long about everything that is important to me, but not someone who acts. Everything that I do is over-thought and over-analyzed and over-justified and over-qualified. To that I say: let's stop discussing and start acting. Let's not "talk the talk" but "walk the walk." And that is the reason why I am here: So I know what I can do to take action. What can I do to overcome prejudice? I think it is this: Stop practicing it myself and therefore stop the cycle of hate. Then, talk about it. Educate. Spread the word.

That is what I am going to leave with from this conference. Lord willing, I will fulfill my responsibility as a Christian to walk the life of a believer. It is not going to be easy, but I welcome the challenges ahead of me.
posted by Noelle at 6:24 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment