Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Getting Ready

Hey Bloggers! This is Elizabeth Campbell, Kelsey’s guest for today’s blog and, also important to mention, a member of the Leadership Event planning team. I am writing from magnificent Chicago, Illinois or Chi-town, as I’ve often heard it referred to as……… For all of you who hold that unfortunate stereotype of Chicago as a cold haven of snow and sleet, be forewarned: It was 80 degrees and climbing when my plane touched down this morning. But, don’t worry… These words will not solely focus on the weather; I’ve promised to throw out a few words about the day and my excitement for Leadership Event…. And, just to jump to the chase, I’ll admit: I’m pumped!

So, my day:
I woke up this morning at 4:15am, EST. (As a side note: if this is not proof of my utmost devotion for NNPCW and the event, I don’t know what is…)… It was a good trip to the airport, though… Watching the sun come up, making it through security (this is another story), and enjoying some coffee along the way was also a plus. The flights were smooth, and I slept through most of them. Nothing about the actual traveling itself stands out, except that I definitely sensed a movement from small-town Owego, NY, where I spent the last three weeks of the summer, to the hustling-bustling, lots of people around metropolis of Chicago. In my nature rhythm of oscillation between introverism and extroverism, I found the trip fulfilling for its combination of people-watching, reflection—this morning over a Henri Nouwen passage, and conversation with intriguing strangers.


Kelsey picked me up at the airport around 10:10am Chicago time, and we walked the perimeter of the airport until we caught up with Carrie and made our way over to Techny Towers. When she picked us up, Kelsey described Techny as gothic, and Carrie and I both agreed once we saw it. It seems to me like an old castle or perhaps even more appropriate, an ancient cathedral, simply locked in time… Maybe there’s something about this seemingly timeless space that will help us as women unlock our histories and, dipping into the chronicles of time, pluck out portions of wisdom to guide us as we go about this sojourn and confront prejudice, in all its nuance and subtlety.

Now, Carrie and I have spent the afternoon prepping for the event while Kelsey goes to intercept Angie at the airport… We’ve got signs up and couches arranged. We also managed to discover a bit more about the secret of this place. Techny is an ecumenical conference center related to a religious community of Catholic brothers/missionaries--- called Divine World International. Some of the brothers live behind us in an infirmary-now. Pretty intriguing locale for the event, huh???

Oh, okay. Angie and Kelsey just arrived! So, I’m gonna head off and get to work!

Keep checking the blog, friends!

Elizabeth
posted by Noelle at 12:07 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment