Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Understanding that Passes Peace

I watched another movie last night, surprise surprise, my friends. My sister gave me this movie to watch. It is an HBO flick with Hillary Swank called Iron Jawed Angels. It is about the history of women’s suffrage between 1910-1920. Swank plays Alice Paul, a Quaker that has a head for politics and rights for women. Her story of heroism was amazing.

I feel like I write movie reviews for you all to see every weekend. “See this…This one is good…It was amazing…I hope you all have seen this…”, etcetera.

I went on to do my nightly devotions and have a few readings by my bed. One my mother gave me, I am not a fan of Joyce Meyers but it was free, and from my mom so how can I turn down a gift? So I read the devotion for yesterday and it had to do with being content with God. At first I thought that it sounded like a pretty good idea, “be content with God”. I am always asking God for things, wondering where God is when I am sad or unhappy, why God can’t do more for me. I have to be content that God is there when I need the support and affirmation. Then I got to thinking that I didn’t need to be content. The definition of content for me is “to be happy with an outcome no matter what it is”. Maybe I don’t want to be content with everything. So I decided to replace “content” with “understanding”. “Be understanding with God”, there, that sounded better. Do not mistake that meaning with, “understand” because God is mysterious and un-understandable (if that is a word). That is what faith is, belief in something that we don’t understand but trust.

If we were all just content with God and our and others’ situations we would never challenge anything. If we were all understanding of God and others’ situations we would challenge things, and probably be more effective.

Isaiah 11:2 “And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord”

Peace,
Brianne
posted by Noelle at 1:49 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment