Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Monday, June 06, 2005

Mothers' Joy

So, it is hot! I talked to my parents in NW Indiana and a friend that just moved to Atlanta and thankfully it is not just hot here, but it is hot EVERYWHERE! As one newsperson said “It is a bad hair day in the entire US!” With the heat and humidity I didn’t even want to clean this weekend, and I so desperately needed to.

However, I did have a chance to enjoy plenty of videos and one in particularly that I had never seen before, and so wonderfully enjoyed was, The Joy Luck Club. My sister had to read the book by Amy Tan in High School but I, unfortunately, did not. I was so taken with the history and triumph of these women. It told the story of 4 women, all with daughters of their own, and their relationships with their mothers and their daughters and their daughters relationship with them. How 3 generations of women in China and America can be so different and yet so the same is amazing.

I will not ruin the movie (and book) for you, please go and watch it yourself when you get a chance. I suggest a box of tissues and a phone so you can call your mother (and the tons of other wonderful older women in your life) and tell her how much you love her.

“And to the disciple, ‘Here is you mother.’ From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.” (John 19:27)

Some think that Mary Magdalene was the author of the book of John. If she is, this verse in John, means more to us women just as the telling of the stories in The Joy Luck Club. If you read the verse (and others) in John in the context of Mary Magdalene as the narrator and as “the beloved disciple” a new and interesting story appears.

Bless your mothers,
Brianne
posted by Noelle at 11:54 AM

3 Comments:

Hi Brianne,
I loved the Joy Luck Club, I saw it first with my husband, and then with my daughters when it first came out. I was wondering what are your sources for Mary Magdalene being the author of John. Really the message of John, that Jesus Christ was God incarnate who came to be our Savior as well as the fact that he made provision for his mother to have a son to provide for her, means everything to me.
Blessings,
Viola Larson
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 PM  
I read through this site after re-reading "The DiVinci Code" and looking at Mary Magdalene from a historical and disciple standpoint. I can't say that I beleive all of this, but it is always something new to shake-up our faith and keep us on our toes!

http://www.magdalene.org/contents.htm

Blessings,
Brianne
Blogger Noelle, at 2:46 PM  
Thanks for your answer. Interesting site, I will save it. I have an article on the Da Vinci Code I wrote after reading the book It is at http://www.naminggrace.org/id65.htm.
In Christ,
Viola
Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment