Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Encore

So it comes to this… two slices of toast, a glass of water, and a suitcase stuffed with random things I may or may not need for the trip. C’mon, you didn’t honestly think I could leave without sending out one more blog post! I think, against all odds, that I’m just about ready to go. It was tough crawling out of my new bed this morning (which is indeed a worthwhile purchase that DID NOT come from Sam’s Club), knowing that I will be leaving it behind for unknown sleeping conditions in Eastern Europe. But I know it will be here when I get back.

I’m sure that after my return, I’ll have several ponderings to share. Until then, though, I leave you with just one: if Robert Frost (I think) said that “good fences make good neighbors,” would a world without borders be possible? Is Frost just a Calvinist at heart, pragmatically assessing reality? Or would it be possible to escape the concept of the nation-state, with its specifically delineated boundaries (which historically, didn’t always exist as we understand it now)?

Okay, this time I’m really off to Romania. Over and out!

“And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” --Matthew 28:20b

Kelsey

PS—Mom and Rachel did indeed make it safely back to Seattle last night, where I’m sure Rachel had a heartfelt reunion with her longsuffering Labrador Retriever. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers their way.

posted by Noelle at 7:39 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment