Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Monday, May 09, 2005

In Honor of Mom

Well, the 131st Kentucky Derby came and went last weekend, with 50-1 longshot Giacomo taking the garland of roses. It was the second-largest upset in Derby history in front of the race’s second largest crowd ever. And yes, I was there. Had I been fortunate enough to put a $2 bet down on Giacomo to win, I would have jubilantly been telling you that I was $100.60 richer this morning. Still, I’m happy for the plucky little horse. After all, he beat out New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner’s horse, and it takes guts to blow past 10 other colts in the home stretch of the race to win. They’ll have to make a movie about him.

I hope you also remembered that yesterday was Mother’s Day. I called my mom and both my grandmothers, but I mailed my mom her card and gift too late for it to get there in time. My mom is always a bit sore anyway that I’m in Kentucky and not home with her in Washington on Mother’s Day. I’ll have to be more diligent next year.

Of course, yesterday’s church service honored all the mothers in the crowd, praising their efforts at a task commonly considered one of the hardest in our society. Mothers were lifted up for the variety of roles they’re asked to fill, the often-tedious tasks that they perform. For one day out of the year, Mom got her due.

Yet I began to wonder what it would mean to really honor our mothers on Mother’s Day. Does it mean buying my mom lunch on one day and then kicking back while she cooks for me the other 364 days of the year? Does it mean telling Mom she has the toughest job in the world and then doing absolutely nothing to make it easier? Does it mean telling her that her only value lies in what she did for me over the last 24 years?

Mom, I know you’ll read all this. I want you to know that I’m sorry for under-appreciating you all these years—not only by failing to acknowledge the sacrifices you made for me, but also for failing to see you as a person with needs, hopes, and dreams. You are a fantastic mother, yes. I would never want anyone else. You also have a wonderfully goofy sense of humor. You do beautiful handiwork around the house, from painting walls to installing crown molding to laying the wood on the kitchen floor. You’re one of the wisest, most insightful people I know. You can elevate the mood of an entire room simply by a word and a smile. And these skills and talents aren’t secondary to your role as my mother—they’re at the core of who you are.

And on those 364 other non-Mother’s Day days, I hope all of you will join with me in appreciating all mothers by making their work easier. If that means cleaning the house when you’re home for the weekend, then do it. If it means advocacy work for women regarding day care, family leave, and other corporate policies affecting mothers, great. For me, it means encouraging my mom to believe in herself and her unique skills as she seeks out a new job. Mom told me for years how smart I was, until I finally believed it. It is time for me to return the favor.

We all know how unique and talented our mothers are. Let’s actually do something to support and nurture them on their own journeys, wherever that may take them.

“Give her a share in the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the city gates.” --Proverbs 31:31

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 12:39 PM

1 Comments:

Kelsey,
I have never felt un-appreciated by you, I have always felt blessed because of you. You have always been a wonderful daughter. Thank you for the lovely Mother's Day tribute, it touched my heart.
I love you!
Mom
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 AM  

Post a Comment