Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Free Day (Sort Of)

Don't you hate it when you mean to go to bed at a decent hour, and then something stupid keeps you up half the night? Last night, I had every intention of going to sleep when I went to bed at 11 pm. Then on the bookshelf above me, I noticed Billie Letts' Where the Heart Is. I've never read the book, but I've seen the movie with Natalie Portman and Ashley Judd, so I just started reading it... and didn't put it down for another hour and a half. What's worse is that I know the book is just sentimentality on one level, but I always loved that Forney character! His devotion to Novalee is very romantic, so I had to stay up too late reading about it.

I'm staying with a pastor in Eugene right now who has lots of interesting pets. There is a bird in the kitchen with a creaking swing-sounding chirp, and a Siamese cat who pants and meows like a crying baby. I've never heard a cat that breathes so heavily that it sounds like a dog panting-- it was a bit unnerving, actually. It is kind of nice to have the pets around to keep me company. They contribute to the house's comfortable atmosphere.

Alas, though, I'll be leaving momentarily. Today is my free day, but the pastor I'm staying with in Portland has asked me to come and talk about young adults at her staff meeting this afternoon. So I need to leave within the next 15 minutes to get there on time... no outlet mall for me today! I'm looking forward to going to the world's largest bookstore, however, later on. Growing up in this region, I've heard tales of the wonders of Powell's Bookstore. Finally, today, I'll get to experience it for myself.

So that's really all I have to write about today... I guess I expended my deep-thought energy last night writing about spirituality. One note, though-- I'm considering starting up an NNPCW Google group for discussion about these and other topics, as well as for people to ask questions about starting and maintaining campus groups. If I do it, though, I want to know that people will join. Is this something that might be worthwhile? I think that an online NNPCW community would be awesome, but in the past the interest just hasn't been there. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, either by posting or by e-mailing me directly. Thanks for your feedback!

"Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly." --Leviticus 19:15

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 1:37 PM

1 Comments:

Kelsey --

I'm really jealous that you're going to Powell's! (Or that you've gone already. Well, whatever, I'm still jealous.)

The last time I was there, it was completely overwhelming -- too many books and too much to look at. Their staff is awesome; I feel like they actually read books, rather than just work there. I find that reassuring for some reason.

Anyway, hope the World Tour Pacific Northwest continues to go well. =)

Rebecca Morrison
NNPCW alum, 1995-98
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment