Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Young Adults in the Church

I woke up with the most awful nightmare this morning... I dreamed that I was taking calculus from my high school history teacher, and that I hadn't studied at all while I was gone on the World Tour. I had two tests to make up, and I realized that I knew absolutely nothing about calculus. I begged Mr. Simonson to give me a week of study time, and he agreed, but then I realized that there was no way I would get an "A" on the exams when I didn't know jack about calculus to start with. When I woke up this morning in a panic, I had to keep telling myself, "You're not in school anymore, Kelsey. You're not in school anymore." So don't think those nightmares end with that little piece of paper, my friends.

I visited with the offices of the Presbytery of New Covenant here in Houston yesterday, and we had a wonderful discussion about young adults in the church. They told me that congregations are hungry for resources from the national office about how to reach out to college students in campus ministry, and how to create programs for young adults that keep them in church between the end of their college years and the start of their families. For those of you who think the churches don't care about us, they do. They just have no clue how to reach out.

I tell people who are trying to start women's groups on their campuses that the first step is to assess the need-- what is missing from your campus, spirituality-wise, that you could start a group to provide? Congregations need to ask the same questions. What do college students and young adults in your area need that you could start a group to provide?

My answer to that question would be resting spaces and fellowship opportunities. The lives of college students are so programmed and scheduled-- a lot of times what I see many of you craving is a place to rest, relax, and just be. For NNPCW groups, that usually leads into discussions about our lives as women and support for one another as we explore that. For a lot of campus ministry groups, that means free food and a chance to hang out with others who share your faith. Either way, they fill a similar need.

The need for young adults not in college is slightly different-- we need places to meet other young adults that aren't bars and nightclubs. I spoke to a couple of twentysomethings in Dallas who are part of a twentysomething group at their church. They said the group just gives young professionals like them a chance to hang out, get to know one another, and study the Bible with other Christians. They invite their friends, too, even if those friends aren't Presbyterian. In fact, I sometimes hang out with a similiar group of Baptist young adults in Louisville. Churches need to develop groups where people who are new to an area can meet other people-- not singles groups for romance, but real fellowships where people can find friendship and companionship as they seek God's will in their lives. For us, the hunger for that sort of connection is definitely there. The door is open for the church to step in and meet a need, if they can only see it.

So if you are a college student or young adult, approach your church about starting a campus outreach or a young adult group. If you're an older reader belonging to a church that wants to start something, find the need and meet it. Start a program, and start inviting people to it. Advertise in the newspaper if you have to. Because even if you think your congregation isn't equipped to do it, I'll bet it can. You just have to be willing to allow new blood and the congregational transformation that comes with it.

"Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor." --Romans 12:9-10

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 9:37 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment