Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Texas Summary

Good news-- I made it back to Louisville in one piece, despite the dire omens of seeing the feature on the Today show. I'm very, very happy to be home, although I saw lots of cool people in Texas. I won't have much time to enjoy the moment, though, as I'll be hopping back on a plane for the Pacific Northwest at the beginning of April for another two week tour. After that, though, I should get to be home for a bit.

Reflections on this tour... I had a lot of preconceived notions about what Texas would be like, and it really wasn't like I thought it would be. I met with a wide variety of groups from a wide variety of cultures, and I found that to be unique. I've often heard that New York is a melting pot, but Texas truly shows it. In Dallas and Houston, I encountered new immigrants from Brazil and Nigeria. In San Antonio, I stayed in a primarily Latino neighborhood. Then there were the Native Americans I met while in Nacogdoches, and the two historically black colleges I visited in Houston and Austin. In that sense, Texas is surprisingly cosmopolitan.

I also thought Texas would be brown and flat. Yes, I was right on one count-- it is pretty flat, especially if you've grown up in the Northwest. But eastern Texas is actually pretty green. They have nice trees and grasslands.

One thing that did live up to expectations, though, was the friendliness and hospitality of the people. Generally, Texans were very kind to me when I visited. Two groups even gave me gifts for coming (a rare event)-- Sam Houston State gave me a t-shirt, and Rice gave me a very stylish khaki visor (which I will wear during church softball this summer). Thank you so much, everyone, for your hospitality.

And in case I didn't mention it, I did go to the Space Center in Houston (excellent suggestion, Rebecca-- it was awesome) and to the Alamo.

Until tomorrow!

"Therefore, my brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved." --Philippians 4:1

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 9:20 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment