Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Off to the Northwest

Today is my last day in the office... I will be traveling to the Pacific Northwest tomorrow for the second World Tour this spring. As of right now, here are the places you can find me if you're interested in learning more about NNPCW:

University of Washington, Seattle, WA
University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA
Church of the Indian Fellowship, Tacoma, WA
Portland State University, Portland, OR
Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR
University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
Pacific University, Forest Grove, OR
Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Presbyterian Women of Seattle Presbytery, Seattle, WA
Olympia Presbytery, Olympia, WA
Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
Campbell Farm, Wapato, WA
Eastern Washington University, Cheney, WA
Whitworth College, Spokane, WA

I also still have time available for other visits, so if you're in Washington, Oregon, or Idaho, please contact me soon and I can schedule time to meet you. Also, if you happen to live in Ephrata, WA or Toppenish, WA and want to learn more about NNPCW, come watch the mighty Kodiaks of Cascade High School take on your school's fastpitch softball team-- my little sister is Cascade's pitcher.

For those of you seeking a preview of this spring's World Tour, the presentation on mystics and martyrs will be a major feature. For lack of any better inspiration, the official title I gave it was "Toil and Trouble: The Subversive History of Women in the Christian Church." It deals with the voices of women in Christianity, highlighting instances where women took a place of prominence in religious discourse, and where the institutional church historically silenced them. I discuss some of the early women martyrs, spend quite a bit of time on medieval mystics, and also talk about the phenomenon of witchcraft accusations in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Here's a teaser question from the presentation-- do you know what a medieval anchoress was? You'll have to invite me to come and speak at your school to find out!

My flight from Louisville doesn't leave until 9:05 am, so I will try to post a bon voyage blog for you in the morning before I leave. I won't be getting home to my own bed (in Washington, that is) tomorrow night until pretty late, so hopefully you'll hear from me before I leave. Wish me safe travels!

"If I take the wings of the morning, and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast." --Psalm 139:9-10

Kelsey

posted by Noelle at 9:58 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment