Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Friday, March 04, 2005

Hangin' with the Jesuits

Hello, everyone, from San Antonio, Texas! I made it safely last night after doing a Bible study at Huston-Tillotson College in Austin with four women. Hagar was very reliable, allowing me to have conversations with all sorts of people all the way down last night. The women at Huston-Tillotson were great. They brought their own perspective to the text, one of God reaffirming faithfulness with the daughters of Zelophephed when they asked for help. They said that God is always faithful and just, even in the difficult times. They particularly pointed out how God took tragedy for these women-- the loss of their father-- and used it to transform all of Israel. It is important to realize that God can use our great suffering and loss for powerful change in our lives, both personally and as a society. I know I've seen that in my own life, and that knowledge sustains me through hard times now.

This will have to be a short post-- I'm borrowing a computer from the rectory of the Catholic church where I'm staying right now. My friend, Casey, is a participant in the Jesuit Volunteer Corps program, and Internet is not part of their living arrangements. There are probably eight or so people in her house, plus other random church folk who live nearby. I have my own little room, though, so that is good. They do all sorts of service and social justice activities in the parish. From what little I've seen, it looks really cool.

I'm off to Trinity in San Antonio this morning, and then will have all day tomorrow off to hang out with Casey. We will probably do the riverwalk downtown and see the Alamo, among other things. At some point, we'll also go back up to Austin and hang out, since I'm delivering the sermon at UT-Austin Sunday night. So, for lack of anything else to tell you, I'll give you a break today and make it a short post. Assuming I can get Internet access again, check back in on Monday for stories of the adventurous weekend of Kelsey, Hagar the Cell Phone, and Kelsey's childhood friend Casey!!

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." --Romans 8:28

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 11:08 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment