Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Discernment and Call

Well, I survived my first visit to the dentist in almost two years yesterday. Unremarkable, except for the standard lecture about flossing regularly and the news that I have three cavities. I'm just thankful it wasn't a root canal. Every time I go to the dentist, they talk to me about flossing as if no one had ever revealed to me the importance of flossing before. It makes me feel like a small child. As for the cavities, I'm supposed to go in and have those fixed next Wednesday. It must have been all the chocolate.

I mentioned Jim Kirkpatrick yesterday when talking about my trip to Mississippi. He was the plenary speaker at our retreat about finding God's calling. During the retreat, Jim made two very important points that encouraged me:

1.) Many of us do not find calling in the epiphany "burning bush" moment, but through the continual "still, small voice" that is the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

2.) Most of the Biblical figures that experience God's calling end their lives by feeling like failures.

Okay, so number two might not seem so encouraging, but let me explore these in more detail.

Growing up Pentecostal, I often expected "burning bush" type experiences from God. I wanted (and still want) God to talk to me directly and tell me what I was supposed to do. Even coming out of college, I remember saying, "God, I'm willing to do whatever it is that you have planned for my life-- just let me know what it is!" The response? Not, "Kelsey, this is God. I want you to go to Louisville, Kentucky and work with college students for the Presbyterian Church." Rather, it was a series of doors that opened. It was the strong sense that I should not move straight into grad school, and the strong peace and excitement I felt about the opportunity to take the job I'm currently doing. I know now that God was leading me, and I'm so thankful that I followed.

Now, as for the idea of Biblical figures being failures, it reminds me that God is faithful to God's promises, even when we don't see them come to fruition. I think a lot of us who feel called by God, who are called to create change in the world, get discouraged because we don't see many results. I certainly feel that way. It helps me, though, to remember that Abraham didn't see the children who would outnumber the stars, and Moses didn't step into the Promised Land. Paul was beheaded by Rome. They believed without seeing-- and Abraham's children indeed are too numerous to count, the Israelites did reach the Promised Land, and Paul's words still reach out to show all people Christ's love. And the greatest failure, a first century rabbi and prophet executed by crucifixion due to political unrest, became the greatest victory in the hearts of Christians everywhere through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. When we follow our callings, even when we don't see the results, that does not mean God isn't working through us.

So go about your work today knowing that God is indeed working through you to accomplish great things.

"For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope." --Jeremiah 29:11

Kelsey

posted by Noelle at 11:40 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment