Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Friday, February 18, 2005

The Book List

Thank you, Rebecca, for your suggestion about visiting NASA while I'm in Houston. I think I'll do so, and report back to all of you about what I thought. Last night, I also dreamed about looking for your taco restaurant. Hmm....

I've been thinking about books this morning, and some novels you might find interesting for those who can find time to do some leisure reading. As for me, I'm feeling rather Miss Bates-ish today, if you've read Austen's Emma. So I'll try to avoid any garrulous digressions.

I recently read Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel, The Handmaid's Tale, which struck me as a fascinating work for Christian feminists to consider. Atwood's main character, known only as "Offred," lives in a theocracy where her primary role is as concubine and childbearer to the powerful ruling patriarchy. The rulers justify her sexual slavery through an extreme interpretation of Genesis 30, the passage where Rachel and Leah give their servants-- handmaids-- to Jacob to bear children. Atwood crafts a powerful tale, one that prompts us to think about the power of Biblical interpretation and the ends to which it motivates us. Moreover, it made me think seriously about what can happen when citizens of a democracy take their freedoms for granted.

The other book that might be of interest to many of you is Alice Walker's The Color Purple. I'll confess that it has been a few years since I've read this one, but I remember it being one of the best books I read in my Southern Writers class at Whitworth. The novel is all about a woman beaten down by abusive men, and how she finds herself through her relationship with the independent and free-spirited mistress of her husband. If I remember correctly, Walker was the author to coin the term "womanist", and the novel resounds with these themes of empowerment. This is definitely a must-read novel.

So have a great weekend! I hope you all have fun plans for President's Day, if you get out of class to celebrate.

"But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; my soul is like the weaned child that is with me." --Psalm 131:2

Kelsey

posted by Noelle at 9:38 AM

1 Comments:

Writers to Check out -
Mary Stuart Van Leeuwen (I've read Gender and Grace, which is good, and I've read a few other articles of hers that I'd recommend)
Rosario Ferre (in either English or Spanish - especially "The Youngest Doll")
Anne LaMott (but stay away from her earlier fiction, like "Rosie" - the post "Bird by Bird" stuff is better)
AND....
It's not published yet, but Kelsey has an essay in a volume about young Christian feminists (I heard a rumor that Ann Melton may have a piece in it as well). I don't know the name - she'll have to post it for you - but I've read her essay, and if the others are anywhere near as good, it'll be a great addition to your library.

Any more additions?
Blogger Amy, at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment