Image: Network News, better than ice cream sundaes at the college dining hall

Friday, January 28, 2005

Week-Old Grits

I'm sitting here at my apartment, eating grits for breakfast. Now, I would like to share with everyone who told me that this could not be done-- I am eating week-old grits from the CoCo meeting. Actually, given some water and enough heat, this can be done. Yesterday's leftover grits were kind of lumpy, though, so I think you have to reheat them in small doses. A note of translation for those of you not from the South or Midwest: grits are this corn product, kind of like the consistency of Cream of Wheat, that Southerners absolutely adore for breakfast. You have to doctor them quite significantly to get any taste out of them, though, so it is kind of hard to see the point. There is enough cheese mixed into these grits to give a horse a heart attack.

The reason I'm eating and typing at the same time, rather than waiting until I get to work? Because I'm meeting with the committee planning the 2006 Churchwide Gathering of Presbyterian Women today to talk about a joint event we're planning with them. For those of you who haven't heard, we're planning on holding the Leadership Event that year in Louisville on intergenerational dialogue. We want to invite some PW women-- women from second wave feminism, women who were among the first in their churches to be ordained, women from WWII interment camps, women on the front lines of the civil rights struggle-- to be in dialogue with us about the issues of the past and today. We feel that the learning process that would occur with this dialogue is essential for the survival of our church. We have to be able to talk to one another as one generation learns from the wisdom of another, and the other passes on the reins of responsibility for the church. I'm excited about meeting with PW today, and very excited about the future projects we're working on to help young women stay involved with the church. Stay tuned!

Have a great weekend! I'll talk to you on Monday!

"May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers and sisters. Amen." --Galatians 6:18

Kelsey
posted by Noelle at 7:55 AM

2 Comments:

This will be an amazing thing and I want to make sure the seminarians will be engaged in this. Unfortunately, I'll be out of the NNPCW generation soon ('05 grad) but would LOVE to be involved in this, and I'm sure there are others out there like me.
Thanks for all the good work Kelsey and a shout out to my chaplain Kate!
Blogger Jessica, at 1:57 PM  
Kelsey, left-over grits are not a good idea. I don't want to hear about that ever again! But fresh grits, those are good. I had some this morning.
-Melissa
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 AM  

Post a Comment